Wednesday 3 August 2011

Writing Update . . .

I missed my usual blogging slot yesterday. I do apologise. My cat is poorly, bless her, and I had to take her to the vets. She's gone in today for tests, and even though I know she'll be fine, I have no control over the tears. It's great having pets but I can't help but think maybe I'm a little too attached. Here's a piccy of our Daisy . . .

Anyway . . . A brief update on writing, seeing as most people are giving one at the moment. Seems to be all the rage just recently.

I've gone and broken all my rules, but it's for a good cause. I've started a second novel. Ever since my early writing days, I've always restrained myself to one manuscript at a time. That way I can pour all resources into it for the best result - and saves getting confused with minor details that could ruin continuity. Short stories are fine, in fact I recommend writing them as they allow you to work on something different without having to put so much commitment into them. Anyone who has more than one novel on the go at a time, fair play, but it's usually not for me.

My first, Lady of the Seas, is still going strong. She's up to 37k and is rolling smoothly.

But my second is called Son of Jack, and is going to be published via our new project 'Starfish ePublishing'. This is being run by members of our Writers' Circle, and we're all putting something forward for publication in November. Visit From Sand to Glass for more technical details surrounding this venture.

Son of Jack was a basic idea I come up with for an exercise that our group were doing, and it just evolved from there. It's based around the fears of four people who live in a society shadowed by the threat of a serial killer. Even though it only took me five minutes to come up with the idea, I felt it deserved more attention and so decided to write it for Starfish ePublishing. Within the two weeks of planning and writing, she's up to 12k. I'm aiming for around 70-80k. And, as usual, I was so excited I've even designed a front cover.

So there you go. All other projects are being put on hold and my concentration is now laying within these - if I can stop blubbering and worrying about my cat, that is . . .

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your cat; hope everything will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony. She's just been diagnosed with heart failure. Hopefully her medication will work wonders, and if it does she'll be on it for the rest of her life

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in the same boat with my wife's dog. Poor guy is getting old. Good luck to you and all of your writing progress!

    I gave you a shout-out on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wandered over from David's blog. Sorry to hear about your kitty. Hope everyone's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your cat. I love cats. Hope she is feeling better soon.
    www.rebeccabany.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your cat, hope she gets well. My cats send their love.

    My older cat Niki went missing for a few days but it turns out she just sneaked out of the house in protest of the fact I was putting her on a diet. I am now going to be more respectful of Niki's dietary wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's two links to my blog in one day. Maybe I'm getting famous all of a sudden...then again, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your cat feels better! I'm a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the title Son of Jack. Good luck with all your writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks everyone! It's really nice to log on and see so many well wishes for my cat and writing projects. I'm sure in her own little way Daisy is sending her thanks too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got some awesome stuff going on here. I'm following your blog now.

    Nice ta meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahh, shucks!! Thanks Matthew, and Welcome x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor miss Daisy- she is so lucky to having a loving family that wants to make sure she is healthy and comfortable. Not every kitty gets to know that joy.

    Best wishes to Daisy.

    ReplyDelete