Monday 27 October 2014

Zombie Evacuation Race . . .

http://zombieevacuation.com/
I had such a fun weekend.

Saturday 25th October meant Zombie Evacuation Race for us.  It was a 5k obstacle fun run with a twist to raise money for charity.  I didn't run (have you seen me run?  I'd probably frighten the zombies away) but I did join the 200 odd zombie volunteers that plagued the route, leaping out and scaring the terrified runners trying desperately to keep hold of their life tags.  They each got five on a belt and we had to steal them.  If you had at least one left by the time you crossed the finish line then you survived.  Those with none were infected.

The whole atmosphere of the day was brilliant.  Even the people working there were in army gear and protective lab suits.  Everyone was friendly and we all got goody bags at the end of the day.  Everyone loves a freebie :)  There were four in our party in total; one runner (running by herself as her boyfriend hurt his back and so had to pull out last minute.  She was terrified) and the rest of us zombies.

There were different zombie levels you could choose from.  The LIMPERS such as those from the Walking Dead who limp around certain areas in order to make you jump, or the CHASERS from the likes of 28 Days Later and WWZ who sprint after you in the Fast Zones.  And then there were zombies in between.  I was a Gorger who mingled with the Limpers, and I claimed a place between a narrow section in the path.  I crouched beside a log and hung between a V-shaped tree in my blood stained PJs, reaching out for passer-bys, and because it was a narrow section they had no choice but to squeeze past me whilst giving off high-pitched squeals (and that was mainly the men).

Make up artists were available to give you the full effect and some people looked utterly terrifying.  It was a non-contact event but we were warned that occasionally runners get so involved and so terrified that their natural reaction may take over and they may hit out.  My arm was slapped out the way a good few times, but nothing major.  However, I managed to witness this fear first hand when a women saw me, screamed, and in an attempt to get out of my reach ran head-first into the tree opposite.  She collapsed in a heap in front of me and I had no idea what to do.  Luckily the person she was running with stopped and helped her, and I managed to find her in the medical tent after the event to ask if she was okay.  She was.  She had a slight concussion though.  However, one person obviously didn't think I was scary and patted me on the head as he run past.  I had to laugh.

The day was brilliant though.  I don't know about the US or around the world, but these events run a couple of times every year in the UK, and so if you're interested, keep an eye out on their website or like them on facebook for updates on when the next event is and then register.  I'm definitely signing up again for the next one.

Zombie me in my tree nick-named
'the happiest zombie on the course'...grrrrr...)

Zombie friend looking suitably horrific...

'The lonesome runner'...and our driver so we couldn't eat her 

I'm still scouting for photos but if you want to see more of the day, check out the Zombie Evacuation gallery here.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like the most fun run I've ever heard of. I have to put that idea to a few people I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant. And the atmosphere on the day was great. Definitely signing up again next year :)

      Delete
  2. 'However, one person obviously didn't think I was scary and patted me on the head as he run past. I had to laugh.'

    And it made me laugh too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was absolutely flabbergasted! There I was giving off my best growls and snarls and he pats me on the head!!! Unbelievable! lol

      Delete
  3. Holy cats, what a bloody good time that must've been! I heard about a couple of folks from my day job playing zombies in a similar event here in NY, but not before it actually happened. Alas. I'd have loved to have been a "limper" ('cause there's no way in hell I'd be able to CHASE anyone, in my present physical condition). And I'm sorry, but I totally snickered at the bit about the chick who ran into a tree to avoid you. Yikes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should sign up to the next one. It was brilliant, and a Limper is definitely the way forward - albeit slowly...lol. But now I know that woman didn't seriously hurt herself, we're all laughing. It was funny :)

      Delete