Thursday 18 April 2019

Religion in Fantasy . . .

I've just recently finished the first draft of my current piece, Blood for Blood. It's basically the 5th installment in my Dark Fantasy series, The Egaean Archives.

I've struggled with this piece, I won't lie. Hidden sub-plots kept springing up and I think I felt a little over-whelmed at times, like I had bitten off more than I could chew. (What didn't help is that I broke my own rule and wrote and self-published Tunnel half way through this one). But chew I did, and 120,500 words later, it was finished. Again, just the first draft I have to keep reminding myself. I am pleased with it but it's far from perfect.

One charater turned out to be not quite who I expected. He ends up being my main antagonist, and throughout the story, he has changed who he wants to be; an Advisor, a Priest, a Commander in the Royal Guard. He just hasn't been consistant, but as the piece drew to a close, he eventaully made up his mind. He's a Cardinal (still going along the priest line), which is great. The end climax is in a monestary and this now makes perfect sense.

BUT...

What is he a Cardinal of? Religion does feature in my world, but it's only been something I've touched on. In order to flesh out this character, I need to know who he is and what he does, and in order to do that, I need to flesh out my religious system. I already have one historical story set in place which features heavily in two of the other pieces, but it's not enough. So where do I even start? It's like world building from scratch.

I've decided to go along the similiar sort of lines of ancient Greece with many gods, each with their own role to play. I'll have the people aware of these gods, but the majority will only worship one main one. I just need to figure out who these gods are now. A fun way to spend Easter Weekend.

What about you guys? Have you ever had to create a whole new religious system for your piece? How did you go about doing that?

3 comments:

  1. I sympathise and know what you mean. My most recent rough draft is only 80k but it was a bugger to write. The idea was a dystopian novel set between 2030 and 2055 with a victorian cast of characters each with their own stories but which all interlap. The only religion themed book I've ever attempted was overtly theological sci fi set in the far future. Like all writing, you just put you bum on the seat and write: ) Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Ideas are flowing nicely. Bum is firmly in seat and editing is soon to commence :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet, but it's something I've considered that I might need to do someday. Basing yours off an ancient one is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete